Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Biscet on Bono

The Cuban human rights defender and the Irish rock star


BONO HONORS ME ME AND THE SYSTEM REPRESSES ME

by Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet
President of the Lawton Foundation for Human Rights

An interesting moment during the U2 concert at the Sun Life stadium, in Florida, were the words of the rock star and humanitarian activist Bono. With them he has made the world have a more transparent vision of the state of neo-slavery the beleaguered Cuban people are living in.

The Irish singer Paul Hewson made a call for freedom for the Cuban people to recognize the humanistic work of a man whose essential purpose is the freedom of a nation.

Bono offers concrete reasoning of the spirit of struggle of a human being, his principles, dignity, profession, pain, unjust imprisonment, worry, hope, faith, for the future of a people.

Before a crowd of more than 73,000 people the poetic prose of the Irish man was defined by these moving words: "A beautiful man, a doctor who has spent his time in the prisons of Cuba. He is also released. His name is Dr. Biscet. I want you to hold him up. Let everyone in Cuba know that he is special to us and we are watching. WE ARE WATCHING. Hold him in your thoughts. Hold him in your prayers."

And these compliments, although they fill me with emotion, do not affect my psyche, because I am convinced that his goal is to save my people from the Castro-communist dictatorship. I accept them, not as a personal praise but as a tribute to my heroic Cuban people. That is why I ask many other honored and famous personalities to follow the dignified attitude of Bono for my nation to soon enjoy full freedom and respect for human rights of each of her children.

The Free spirit of Ireland manifested in Bono's gesture causes me to evoke the many Irish who died for the freedom of Cuba. As those five shot at Castle Atares in 1851, or the Liberation Army Colonel O'Hara, who wrote on the first flag raised in Cárdenas: Cuba: Primus in Cuba!, Or James J. O'Kelly New York Herald correspondent, who interviewed some of the nation's founding fathers in the free territory of Cuba and reported beautiful stories.

While the famed rock singer honored me, the Castroites showed their resentment and cruelty preparing a plan to repress me. At police station Aguilera, Lawton, they manufactured a criminal record of control with my photograph and personal data. In an unsuccessful attempt to humiliate me they urged me to go to said headquarters to sign a document of control on the first five days of every month while the probation license is in effect.

Categorically I tell these people blinded by hate and resentment that I'm not going to sign any document that restricts my freedom or violates the agreements signed in the church-state document that served as the basis for my release and my brothers of the Cause of the 75. For they, inspire me and encourage the rebellious spirit of Eire, the rebellious spirit of the Irish compatriots of the Liberation Army and the rebellious spirit of Bono, my distant friend in geography but close in the principles and struggle for human rights.

I end with two phrases of love and hope, one from the celebrated Martin Luther Jr. and the other from he who writes you: "Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God." And mine: "Freedom is only found when men with dignity search it out."

God continue to bless your homes and your lives.

Original blog post in Spanish from Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet

No comments:

Post a Comment